Emmanuel Lutheran Church is involved in many ministries and activities that keep our community at Emmanuel alive. Consider joining a group or participate in the activities. Become a part of Emmanuel to find new friends, a family, and a spiritual home.
Emmanuel is involved in many outreach programs including Christmas Angel Tree, Red Cross Blood Drive, County Social Worker partnership and sponsorship, year-long food collections for Lutheran Social Services and Valley Interfaith Food Pantry and toy drives for the holidays for LSS and other local charities. Many members participate in various social advocacy programs, and walk-a-thons such as AIDS, LSS, Childhood Tumor Foundation and the Revlon walks.
In 1968 the church purchased the Midoriland Retreat Center on Big Bear Lake. Midoriland remains an important part of Emmanuel's ministry to this day. The lodge is licensed for up to 32 overnight guests and is under contract with an agency in Big Bear that rents out the facilities to other churches and groups in the community. Midoriland is a unique and serene place to go for spiritual and physical relaxation. Contact the church office, (818) 761-6124, for the agency and rental information.
(Emmanuel Lutheran Actors' Theatre Ensemble). Founded in 1984, ELATE produces several shows a year for the community as well as liturgical programs for the church. ELATE Theatre & Ticket Information – 818-509-0882
We have vocal choirs and a handbell choir under the direction of our minister of music, Mark Longfield. There are opportunities for sharing your musical gifts during worship services. Musicians for special music are always welcome. Emmanuel’s Friends of Music offer a concert series each year with a delightful variety of performers including vocal and instrumental recitals, a Cabaret Night featuring local talent and an annual Trombone Christmas Concert that is not to be missed! All concerts are free and donations are taken to support local charities.
Middle and High School and Young Adult activities are scheduled weekly and monthly. There are many opportunities for study, fellowship, Confirmation, after school programs, movie nights, fun activities, youth leadership, and growth.
Emmanuel sponsors Boy Scout, Cub Scout, Girl Scout and Brownie Troops. Boy Scout Troop 84 has its annual Pancake Breakfast each February on Boy Scout Sunday. Contact the church office for more information.
During the school year, Sunday school is available during 10am worship for preschool-5th grade children. First Sunday of the month Handprints 2.0 is a time for youth to gather for fellowship and lively discussions about faith. Adult classes in Biblical studies, parenting and forums for faith and life discussion are available weekly and as scheduled through out the year. Vacation Bible School is held every summer.
Home Visitation Team:
This group provides warm greetings and Holy Communion as they visit members who are ill or homebound. Training for this team is available so our parishioners with God's word, Holy Sacrament and comfort.
The Book Nook Gift Store:
This convenient little shop continues to serve the Emmanuel community with Augsburg Fortress books, unique gifts and cards, open most Sunday and Tuesday mornings.
Global Mission Ministries:
- Emmanuel members participate in many projects such as making quilts, knitted & crocheted layettes, school and health kits for LUTHERAN WORLD RELIEF, the Fair Trade and Equal Exchange coffee, and an annual Christmas Boutique from Thousand Villages supporting artisans in developing countries. We sponsor missionary families and seminary students.
- Laurel Hall School continues to provide high quality Christian education with strong after school programs that include sports teams and extended daycare. During the summer there are unique programs for sports, arts and music for the students.
- Emmanuel Lutheran Early Childhood Center serves our community as an outreach of Emmanuel Lutheran Church. We welcome any child from two years through five years of age who is in good physical and emotional health and whose parents desire a caring, Christ-centered early childhood experience for their child.
Fellowship at Emmanuel is important to our community Outreach and Evangelism. Coffee time on the patio and fellowship at our many receptions are always enjoyed with lots of Good Old Fashioned Lutheran Coffee, many goodies, and SMILES!
There are many opportunities to enjoy fellowship, service, and meet spiritual needs for women at Emmanuel.
- Quilters make quilts for Lutheran World Relief and baby quilts for low income mothers and families in L.A. Quilters meet every Tuesday at 10am.
- The Altar Guild provides for our liturgical and seasonal needs for church decorations and paraments. They also set the Lord's Table each week for Holy Communion and provide a spiritually welcoming home for Emmanuel and its visitors. The Altar Guild gathers every Saturday at 9:30am to prepare for Sunday worship. Monthly meetings are held on the third Saturday of the month at 9:30am. Altar Guild Contact – Ernine Larson at email@example.com.
- There are two Bible study forums for women, each meeting once a month- the Saturday Study and EWES (Enlightened Women of Emmanuel Study the Bible). Check our calendar for dates and times.
- Our women are members of the Women of the ELCA and participate in the various Cluster and Synod events for women. All ages of women in the church are invited and encouraged to participate. For information about Emmanuel Lutheran Women contact – Karen Ohrt 818-982-5277