In 1945, Emmanuel Lutheran Church was organized with 83 charter members. They began holding services in the Odd Fellow's Hall, in North Hollywood at the corner of Magnolia and Cahuenga. Under the leadership of Pastor Norman Hammer, the congregation outgrew this building and in December 1945 moved to the Eagle's Hall, also located in North Hollywood on Cahuenga. Later that year the congregation purchased a plot of land consisting of 7.2 acres of "good for nothing" land at the corner of Oxnard and Radford for $9,000 which became the permanent home of Emmanuel Lutheran Church. In 1946, groundbreaking for a new sanctuary takes place.
In October of 1947 Emmanuel started a new school. The name Laurel Hall, which had been suggested by a 10-year boy was selected. The monthly newsletter, The Builder is published for the first time and sent out to members. The new sanctuary of the church, known today as the Parish Hall, is dedicated. The first organ is purchased for the sanctuary.
Over 70 years later Emmanuel's mission is
"Welcoming all people, Emmanuel Lutheran Church and schools love, teach, and serve through Christ."